- Professor Terry Flew was appointed as a full-time Commissioner for the Review into Censorship and Classification Laws for one year until 29 February 2012.
- Justice Bruce Lander and Justice Arthur Emmett were appointed as part-time Commissioners for the Discovery of Documents in the Federal Courts Inquiry for a six-month period to 30 April 2011.
- Justice Berna Collier was reappointed as a part-time Commissioner for three years to 26 October 2013.
- On 9 July 2010, the Attorney-General signed Terms of Reference for a review of the impact of Commonwealth laws on those experiencing family violence with a reporting date of 30 November 2011.
- On 11 November 2010, the Attorney-General launched the Final Report, Family Violence: A National Legal Response (ALRC Report 114).
- On 23 November 2010, the Senate referred an Inquiry into the Australian Law Reform Commission to the Legal and Constitutional Affairs References Committee. The Committee’s Final Report was released on 8 April 2011.
- On 17 March 2011, the ALRC launched the first of its quarterly e-newsletters, ALRC Brief.
- On 24 March 2011, the Attorney-General signed Terms of Reference for a review into Censorship and Classification Laws with a reporting date of 30 January 2012.
- On 2 May 2011, the ALRC moved to new premises at Level 40, MLC Centre, 19 Martin Place, Sydney.
- On 25 May 2011, the Final Report, Managing Discovery: Discovery of Documents in Federal Courts (ALRC Report 115) was tabled in Parliament.
- On 2 June 2011, the ALRC won a Bronze Award for its CAC online annual report at the Institute of Public Administration Australia (IPAA) Annual Report Awards.
Anticipated Developments in 2011–12
- From 1 July the ALRC will become a prescribed agency under the Financial Management and Accountability Act (FMA Act), a statutory agency under the Public Service Act 1999.
- A new Enterprise Agreement will be negotiated that takes into account the requirements of the Fair Work Act and recognises the move to the Public Service.
Table 1: ALRC Publications 2010-11
Date of release
|Corporate||Annual Report 2009–10 (ALRC 113)||15 October 2010|
|Family Violence Inquiry||Family Violence: A National Legal Response (ALRC Report 114)||14 November 2010|
|Family Violence: A National Legal Response (ALRC Report 114 Summary)||14 November 2010|
|Discovery of Documents in Federal Courts Inquiry||Discovery in Federal Courts (CP 2)||15 November 2010|
|Commonwealth Laws and Family Violence Inquiry||Employment and Superannuation Law (IP 36)||22 February 2011|
|Immigration Law (IP 37)||1 March 2011|
|Child Support and Family Assistance (IP 38)||10 March 2011|
|Social Security Law (IP 39)||14 March 2011|
|Censorship and Classification Inquiry||National Classification Scheme Review (IP 40)||20 May 2011|
|Discovery of Documents in Federal Courts Inquiry||Managing Discovery: Discovery of Documents in Federal Courts (ALRC Report 115)||24 May 2011|
|Managing Discovery: Discovery of Documents in Federal Courts (ALRC Report 115 Summary)||24 May 2011|