Appointments and cessations
- Professor Rosalind Croucher AM was re-appointed as President of the ALRC on 11 December 2014, for a period of 12 months, commencing on 14 December 2014.
- On 30 August 2014, following the completion of the Equality, Capacity and Disability in Commonwealth Laws Inquiry, the part-time commission of Graeme Innes AM ceased.
- Professor Lee Godden’s commission ceased on 30 March 2015.
- On Thursday 11 December 2014, the ALRC launched Equality, Capacity and Disability in Commonwealth Laws (ALRC Report 124).
- On 26 January 2015, ALRC President, Professor Rosalind Croucher was conferred the award of Member of the Order of Australia for significant service to the law as an academic, to legal reform and education, to professional development, and to the arts.
- On 29 June 2015, the ALRC launched Connection to Country: Review of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) (ALRC Report 126).
Table 1: ALRC publications completed 2014–15
Date of completion
Equality, Capacity and Disability in Commonwealth Laws (ALRC Report 124)
22 September 2014
Annual Report 2013–14 (ALRC Report 125)
30 September 2014
Review of the Native Title Act 1993 (DP 82)
23 October 2014
Traditional Rights and Freedoms—Encroachments by Commonwealth Laws (IP 46)
10 December 2014
Connection to Country: Review of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) (ALRC Report 126)
30 April 2015
The ALRC is not responsible for defining its work program, nor for the timing of its inquiries, but is reliant on the law reform objectives of the Government, and the referrals made to it by the Commonwealth Attorney-General. During 2014–15, the ALRC finished its Disability and Native Title Inquiries, and began work on the Freedoms Inquiry. In 2014–15 the ALRC met most of its performance targets. Whilst we have reported fewer numbers for consultations and submissions received than expected in this period, this is due to timing issues on our current inquiries.
In financial terms, the ALRC ends the financial year operating within its current appropriation and achieving all objectives in its corporate plan