In April 2021, the ALRC published a Consultation Paper containing questions and draft proposals for public comment. The closing date for submissions in response to the Consultation Paper was 30 June 2021.
The Consultation Paper is accompanied by a series of background papers which are intended to provide a high-level overview of key principles and research on topics of relevance to the Judicial Impartiality Inquiry:
- The Law on Judicial Bias: A Primer (JI1)
- Recusal and Self-Disqualification (JI2)
- The Federal Judiciary – the Inquiry in Context (JI3)
- Conceptions of Judicial Impartiality in Theory and Practice (JI4)
- Ethics, Professional Development, and Accountability (JI5)
- Cognitive and Social Biases in Judicial Decision-Making (JI6)
- The Fair-Minded Observer and its Critics (JI7)
Feedback on the background papers is welcome at any time by email to email@example.com.