16.4 The following material describes the offences and penalties relevant to the enforcement of current classification laws, including in relation to:
- offline content under the classification cooperative scheme—mainly by state and territory law enforcement agencies; and
- online content under the Broadcasting Services Act—mainly by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (the ACMA).
16.5 These laws include those that:
- impose obligations to classify media content according to prescribed criteria;
- impose prohibitions or restrictions on access to media content, or the sale, distribution or advertising of content; or
- provide for offences and penalties in relation to other classification laws.