Public Presentations 2009–10
27 Jul 2009 President David Weisbrot participated in a meeting of the Steering Committee of the NCYLC/Mallesons Children’s Law Awards, in Sydney.
30 Jul 2009 President David Weisbrot presented ‘Genetics in the Australian Workplace: GATTACA or a Fair Go?’ at the Disability and Age Discrimination Law Reform Summit, in Sydney.
27 Aug 2009 Commissioner Rosalind Croucher presented ‘Statutory Wills’, at the Heart Foundation Office, College Street, Sydney.
27–28 Aug 2009 Ms Carolyn Adams, Senior Legal Officer, presented ‘ALRC Review of Secrecy Laws’, at the 5th Annual Public Sector In House Counsel Conference held in Canberra.
7 Sep 2009 President David Weisbrot presented a public seminar on ‘Human Genetics: translating research and public consultation into policy and law reform’, at Charles Darwin University, in Darwin.
14 Sep 2009 Commissioner Les McCrimmon gave a presentation ‘Statutory Case of Action for a Serious Invasion of Privacy: Will the Truth be at Risk?’ at Griffith University Faculty of Law Socio-legal Research Centre Seminar Series, in Brisbane.
25 Sep 2009 Commissioner Rosalind Croucher presented ‘The ALRC’s preliminary approach of Family Violence Inquiry’ to the Attorney-General’s Department.
1 Oct 2009 Commissioner Rosalind Croucher attended the Family Violence Conference—Towards Best Practice and presented ‘Reducing Violence against Women and their Children—The ALRC’s Project’, in Brisbane. Ms Isabella Cosenza, Senior Legal Officer together with NSWLRC’s Senior Legal Officers Ms Donna Hayward and Ms Nicole Abadee, also attended the conference.
16 Oct 2009 Ms Erin Mackay, Legal Officer gave a presentation ‘Indigenous Traditional Knowledge’ at the 14th Biennial Copyright Law and Practice Symposium, hosted by the Australian Copyright Council and the Copyright Society of Australia.
31 Oct 2009 Presentation by President David Weisbrot ‘From Public Engagement to Public Policy: Competing Stakeholders and the Path to Law Reform’, Conference on the Future of Public Participation, Banff, Canada.
12 & 13 Nov 2009 Commissioner Rosalind Croucher attended the Family Law Council Meeting in Canberra. Prof Croucher gave a report on the ALRC Family Violence Inquiry.
20 Nov 2009 President David Weisbrot gave a presentation at The Rule of Law in Australia Conference, ‘Reform and Review—who are the protectors of our rights and liberties and how well are they doing their job?’ in Sydney.
23 Nov 2009 Commissioner Rosalind Croucher gave a report on the ALRC Family Violence Inquiry at the Family Law Forum hosted by Chief Justice Bryant in Melbourne.
4 Dec 2009 Acting President Rosalind Croucher gave a presentation on the Family Violence Inquiry at the Putting Safety First Forum, held in Brisbane and hosted by Central Queensland University.
11 Feb 2010 President Rosalind Croucher gave a Report about the Family Violence Inquiry to the Family Law Council via telephone link.
15 Feb 2010 President Rosalind Croucher and Research Manager Jonathan Dobinson appeared as witnesses via telephone conference to the Senate Finance and Public Administration Committee’s public hearing for its Inquiry into the FOI and Information Commissioner Bills.
20–21 Apr 2010 President Rosalind Croucher gave a presentation at the Domestic Violence Court Assistance Network Queensland Conference (Brisbane) ‘Navigating the Maze—The ALRC’s/ NSWLRC’s Family Violence Inquiry’. Ms Sara Peel, Legal Officer also attended the conference.
10 May 2010 President Rosalind Croucher made a presentation on the Family Violence Inquiry to the New South Wales Legal Assistance Forum—Family Violence Forum (NLAF) at the NSW Law Society.
19 May 2010 Magistrate Anne Goldsbrough gave a presentation to the Victorian Government Family Violence Steering Group.
19–20 May 2010 President Rosalind Croucher and Ms Sara Peel, Legal Officer, attended the National Indigenous Family Violence Prevention Forum 2010 in Mackay Queensland, and the President led a Yarning Circle on the Family Violence Inquiry.
20 May 2010 President Rosalind Croucher gave the Occasional Address, University of Southern Queensland Graduation, held at Sydney Olympic Park, Sydney.
28 May 2010 Presentation by Ms Carolyn Adams, Senior Legal Officer, at the NSW Women’s Refuge Movement State Conference, ‘ALRC/NSWLRC Family Violence Inquiry: Next Steps’ in Sydney.
Articles written for other external publications
- K Connors (Senior Legal Officer), ‘Review of the Royal Commissions Act’, Law Institute Journal of Victoria, July 2009.
- B Alston (Senior Legal Officer), ‘ALRC proposals to wind back federal secrecy laws’, Law Institute Journal of Victoria, September 2009.
- I Cosenza (Senior Legal Officer), ‘The War at Home- re-assessing the rules of engagement and our legal armoury’ Reform, Issue 94, December 2009.
- J Chia (Legal Officer), ‘Inquiring into Inquiries: the Review of the Royal Commissions Act’, Reform, Issue 94, December 2009.
- M Saloman (Intern), ‘Testing the bounds of Secrecy: A better approach to protecting government information from unauthorised disclosures’, Reform, Issue 94, December 2009.
- J Dobinson (Research Manager), ‘ALRC to develop national legal framework to tackle family violence’, Victorian Law Journal, November 2009.
- K Hoang (Legal Officer), ‘Family Violence Improving Legal Frameworks’, Tasmanian Law Letter, April 2010.
- S Wynn (Executive Director), ‘ALRC trials online consultation strategies for the Family Violence Inquiry’, Law Institute Journal of Victoria, May 2010.
- R Croucher (Commissioner), ‘Delenda est Carthago! Sir Robert Richard Torrens and his Attack on the Evils of Conveyancing and Dependent land Titles: A Reflection on the Sesquicentenary of the Introduction of his Great Law Reforming Initiative’, 11 (2) Flinders Journal of Law Reform, 197–262, September 2009.
- R Croucher (Commissioner), ‘Towards Uniform Succession Law in Australia’, 83 Australian Law Journal, 728–751, November 2009.
- R Croucher (Commissioner), ‘Quirks and Curios: Rescued Footnotes in the History of Succession Law’, 83 Australian Law Journal, 609–620, September 2009.
- R Croucher (Commissioner), ‘An interventionist, parternalistic jurisdiction’? The place of statutory wills in Australian succession law’, 32(3) University of New South Wales Law Journal, 674–698, November 2009.
- R Croucher (Commissioner), ‘150 years of Torrens—Too much, too little, too soon, too late?’, 31 Australian Bar Review, 245–278, November 2009 (publication of the Forbes Lecture in Legal History for 2008).
- R Croucher (Commissioner), Appealing to the Future—Michael Kirby and his Legacy. I Freckelton and H Selby (eds), Federation Press 2009, Reform, vol 94, 65–66, December 2009 (an abridged version of the review in (2009) University of New South Wales Law Journal).
- R Croucher (Commissioner), Appealing to the Future—Michael Kirby and his Legacy. I Freckelton and H Selby (eds), Federation Press 2009, in (2009) 32 University of New South Wales Law Journal 1073–1081 (November).
- R Croucher (Commissioner), ‘Inspired Law Reform or Quick Fix? Or, ‘Well, Mr Torrens, what do you reckon now?’ A Reflection on Voluntary Transactions and Forgeries in the Torrens System’, 30(2) Adelaide Law Review 291–327, December 2009.