3.1 This chapter discusses some of the broader context within which the ALRC is conducting this Inquiry and comments on the Terms of Reference, drawing out some concerns of stakeholders and identifying aspects of the needs and expectations of Australian business and consumers. This context includes:
- the concept of the digital economy;
- trends in consumer use of copyright material;
- the complexity of copyright law;
- the implications of cultural policy for copyright reform; and
- current modes of regulation.