The ALRC released The Judicial Power of the Commonwealth: A Review of the Judiciary Act 1903 and Related Legislation (DP 64) in December 2000.
The subject matter of the reference can be conveniently divided into seven core areas, which are discussed in successive chapters of this Discussion Paper. These are
- allocating original federal jurisdiction between federal and state courts
- transferring proceedings between and within courts exercising federal jurisdiction
- appellate jurisdiction of federal courts
- claims against the Commonwealth
- the law applicable in federal jurisdiction
- judicial power in the territories, and
- location, consolidation and simplification.
View DP 64 in HTML on the AustLII website.