On 9 January 2023, the Attorney-General of Australia, the Hon Mark Dreyfus KC MP, announced the appointment of the Hon Justice Mark Moshinsky as a part-time Commissioner of the ALRC. Justice Moshinsky will also fulfil the role of Acting President until a permanent replacement is confirmed.
Outgoing ALRC President, the Hon Justice Sarah Derrington AM welcomed the appointment of Justice Moshinsky.
“It has been a privilege to hold the role and to have had the opportunity to build such an exceptional team around me. In particular, I would like to thank all contributors to ALRC Inquiries who willingly volunteer their time and expertise to the ALRC,” said Justice Derrington.
The ALRC would like to take this opportunity to thank the Hon Justice Sarah Derrington AM.
ALRC General Counsel, Mr Matt Corrigan acknowledged the significant contribution that Justice Derrington has made to law reform in Australia.
“Previous Presidents of the ALRC have set the bar high in terms of academic rigour and leadership. Justice Derrington exceeded that bar as an innovative and collaborative leader who leaves a tremendous legacy after 5 years,” Mr Corrigan said.
During Justice Derrington’s five year term the ALRC has published the following Reports:
- Integrity, Fairness and Efficiency – An Inquiry into Class Action Proceedings and Third-Party Litigation Funders (ALRC Report 134),
- Family Law for the Future—An Inquiry into the Family Law System (ALRC Report 135)
- Corporate Criminal Responsibility (ALRC Report 136),
- Financial Services Legislation: Interim Report A (ALRC Report 137),
- Without Fear or Favour – Judicial Impartiality and the Law on Bias (ALRC Report 138); and
- Financial Services Legislation: Interim Report B (ALRC Report 139).
In addition to numerous consultation and background research papers, the ALRC also published The Future of Law Reform: A Suggested Program of Work 2020-25.
Nadine Davidson-Wall, Communications and Events Co-ordinator