Advertisements calling for applications for vacant positions are posted on this website and in the APS Gazette.
The Australian Law Reform Commission welcomes applications from the diverse Australian community including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people with disability, people of all ages and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Interns / work experience
University students wishing to undertake an internship should visit the Legal Internship Program page on this website.
Recruiting for Principal, Senior and Legal Officers
The Australian Law Reform Commission (ALRC) is an independent federal agency that undertakes law reform inquiries referred to it by the Commonwealth Attorney-General, with its office in Sydney. The ALRC is recruiting for a number of legal officers at PLO (EL 2), Senior (EL1) and APS 5-6 levels. These positions are ongoing and the ALRC will consider full-time and part-time appointments.
A law degree is essential for all positions. Applicants must provide a CV and a Statement of Claims against the Selection Criteria for each position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Selection Criteria are available from the ALRC for each level of position.
Key responsibilities of the positions:
- Assist the President and Commissioners to undertake inquiry work
- Contribute to the writing of ALRC consultation papers and final reports;
- Contribute to formulation of law reform recommendations;
- Undertake detailed legal research to inform the ALRC’s understanding of the field under inquiry using a range of research tools;
- Organise and participate in consultation meetings with stakeholders and prepare briefing and consultation notes;
- Critically analyse and synthesise submissions and other research materials.
Applications close midnight, Monday 2 May 2016.
- Legal Officer job description (Word) (PDF)
- Senior Legal Officer job description 2016 (Word) (PDF)
- Principal Legal Officer job description (Word) (PDF)
Further information can be obtained from Executive Director Sabina Wynn
email@example.com or ph: 02 82386366
Non-ongoing (temporary) employment register
From time to time, the ALRC may have temporary vacancies for short term (up to 12 months), non-ongoing positions in legal research for people who hold law degrees and have experience in policy development and/or law reform. All positions are based in Sydney.
If you would like to be considered for such vacancies, please apply online by providing the requested information.