Matt joined the ALRC in July 2016 as a Principal Legal Officer. He was promoted to General Counsel in October 2018. In this role, Matt supports the President and Commissioners by managing the ALRC’s corporate governance functions and leading a team of lawyers and researchers.
At the ALRC, Matt has worked on the following Inquiries:
- Elder Abuse
- Over-incarceration of Australia’s Indigenous Peoples
- Litigation Funding and Class Actions
- Family Law
- Corporate Criminal Responsibility
- Religious Exemptions in Anti-discrimination Legislation
- The Future of Law Reform
- Financial Services Regulation
- Judicial Impartiality
Prior to joining the ALRC, Matt had a diverse legal career working for the Australian Government, private law firms, the Parliament of Australia, the United Nations, international NGOs, and as an independent consultant. Matt has worked in Bangladesh, Myanmar and South Sudan. Matt holds a Master of Laws with Merit from ANU and Bachelor degrees with Honours in both Law and Arts.